|Published||June 28, 2022|
|Location||Annapolis Junction, MD|
DESCRIPTION Job summary
The AWS Cross Domain Services team is seeking a Systems Development Engineer who is passionate about operational excellence. This engineer will help to operate and scale the services that connect AWS regions of differing security requirements. An Amazon Dedicated Cloud (ADC) is a collection of AWS regions provided for a customer with specific security requirements. The AWS Cross Domain Services team provides solutions for customers to move data between regions with differing security requirements. We are obsessed with earning and maintaining customer trust. AWS is building some of the largest and most complex distributed systems in the world and the AWS Cross Domain Services team is essential to AWS's dedicated cloud expansion. We need talented, adaptable engineers to help us implement and operate these complex systems. As a Systems Development Engineer on the AWS Cross Domain Services team, you will have the opportunity to leverage the latest cloud computing technologies. You will improve the availability of cross domain services to better serve U.S. Government agencies. You will use your strong background in Linux, networking, and cloud services to raise our already high operational excellence bar. You will operate, automate, and troubleshoot complex systems in partnership with software developer peers. In this role you will be given opportunities to grow your automation skills and gain a deeper understanding of cloud computing design patterns. You'll be part of a world-class team in a fast-paced environment that has the entrepreneurial feel of a start-up. This is an opportunity to operate and engineer systems on a massive scale and to gain top-notch experience in cloud computing. You'll be surrounded by people who are smart, passionate about cloud computing, and believe that world class service is critical to customer success. You will be able to measure your success by its visible impact on the efficiency and effectiveness of government services for our nation. This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and currently possess and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph. Key job responsibilities
It is "day one" for Amazon's Dedicated Cloud offerings. We are seeking a talented and motivated Systems Development Engineer eager to: shape the development of infrastructure foundational services, write tools and services to improve automation for deployment and releases, build and maintain test fleets, perform functional and regression testing on software, define and perform stress testing, and monitor production software. We are looking for someone who can build on existing services and architectures and is excited to create new automated solutions. We are not constrained by how "things are usually done." You will be encouraged to dive deep into issues and then reinvent systems, processes, and tools as needed to drive continuous improvement for our customers. A day in the life
Amazon has a fast-paced environment where we "Work Hard, Have Fun, Make History." On a "typical" day engineers might deep dive to root cause a customer issue, investigate why a metric is trending the wrong way, consult with the top engineers at Amazon, or discuss radical new approaches to automate operational issues. The team uses an agile scrum process to plan development and operational work across two week sprints. Individual schedules are flexible. About the team
AWS Cross Domain Services includes more than 20 talented engineers across five two-pizza teams that operate as an entrepreneurial start-up. The team has successfully launched one AWS product and several features for ADC customers. The team will continue to delight ADC customers launch products, features, and region expansions to meet. Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust. This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport. Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life-both in and outside of work. BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 2+ years professional software development experience or one of the following related disciplines (Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), Systems Engineering, Systems Administration, DevOps, Security Administration, or Network Administration)
• 2+ years programming or scripting language experience (Python, Java, Ruby)
• 2+ years Linux or similar UNIX distribution experience
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or similar, or equivalent experience
• Current, active US Government Security Clearance of Top Secret or above PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience with AWS technologies (aws.amazon.com) including DynamoDB, S3, and SQS.
• Experience with security best practices in tool development and access controls.
• Experience managing servers in large-scale, geographically diverse environments.
• Excellent troubleshooting skills.
• Highly organized and able to coordinate with other team members. Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.