|Published||June 17, 2022|
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world leader in providing a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of businesses in 190 countries around the world!
As a Software Development Manager, you will lead a highly-effective team driving continuous feature delivery and operational excellence. You will innovate, think big, and inspire great communication inside and outside your team. You will solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context. You will continually align your team's work, goals and priorities with Amazon's business goals. You, along with your team, will build flexible systems and processes without over-engineering and choose simple, straightforward solutions over more complex ones.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Lead highly-effective teams, delivering highly available and reliable software for large, critical, and complex systems.
- Be a hands on manager who loves to roll up their sleeves and working on software development activities such as planning, design and code reviews
- Effectively lead hiring and performance management for your team
- Recognize the high and low performers are and coach team members for performance at both ends of the spectrum
- Create the identity and structure for your team
- Inculcate a culture of innovation and operational efficiency in the team
- Influence technical priorities and business strategy through data-driven contributions
- Successfully manage all stages of a program (from concept to delivery)
- Define all aspects of projects and programs including collecting requirements, writing high-quality documents and doing sprint planning
Developers at Amazon work on real world problems on a global scale, own their systems end-to-end, and influence the direction of our technology that impacts hundreds of millions customers around the world. Come join a creative team of super smart, customer obsessed developers that think big and have fun.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
About the team
We are looking for an experienced engineering leader to help us deliver improvements and innovations around new AWS region launches. We are a collaborative team that highly values innovation and bottoms-up engineering. We value individual ownership. As a leader you will not only be responsible for driving internal roadmaps but also influence and engage with partner organizations to drive innovations on their roadmaps. As a leader you will be valued for your technical depth and expertise.
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Master's Degree in Computer Science or related discipline with 5+ years of experience; or Bachelor's Degree with 7+ years of experience or relevant work experience.
- 5+ years of experience leading a software development team through multiple product/platform releases.
- 5+ years of experience making significant innovative contributions to real-world software development.
- Business and technical vision
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Able to work in a diverse team
- Experience building developer SDKs
- Experience with distributed systems
- Demonstrated proficiency with an object-oriented programming language; strong object-oriented design and developing engineers through various career stages and building high-performance teams.
- Experienced in using an iterative process such as SCRUM to deliver engineering projects; experience in continuous improvement to development process.
- Deep knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
*Please email AWS Sourcing Recruiter, Scott Korkowski () if you have questions.
**For more information on Amazon Web Services, please visit http://aws.amazon.com.**
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport.
By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us. - provided by Dice